- Cape Cod Real Estate Home Warranty
Cape Cod Real Estate Home Warranty
The last thing a home buyer wants to worry about after closing is what could possibly break or go wrong in their new home. Since that can cover a multitude of items and systems, for peace of mind, it's a good idea to get a home protection warranty.
It's especially a good idea to obtain a home warranty if you're a first-time home buyer with no experience maintaining a home. Some Sellers may want to consider offering a Home Warranty as an incentive to a Buyer.
How Much does a Home Warranty Cost?
They are fairly inexpensive, typically ranging from $250 to $400, depending on coverage.
These policies are prepaid for in advance, at which time they expire - usually in one year. They can be renewed.
How does a Home Warranty Work?
Although specific plans provide for specific types of coverage, most operate the same way.
If a home system or appliance breaks or stops working, the home owner calls the home
- The home warranty company calls a local provider with which it has a business arrangement.
- The specific provider calls the home owner to make an appointment.
The provider fixes the problem. If an appliance is malfunctioning and cannot be repaired, depending
on contract coverage, the Warranty company will pay to replace and install the appliance.
- The home owner pays a small trade service fee (less than $100).
Types of Coverage
Because all plans differ, you will want to ask specifically what is covered. Pay close attention to whether the home warranty company will pay for repairs to make certain types of systems or appliances compliant with new regulations.
What If I Disagree With the Diagnosis?
Sometimes a service provider will deny a claim such as:
- Outdoor items such as sprinklers
- Faucet repairs are not covered under all plans
- Not all plans pay for refrigerators, washers & dryers or garage door openers
- Spa or pools, unless specific coverage requested
- Permit fees
- Haul aways
What May Cause Denial of Payment?
- Improper maintenance
- Code violations
- Unusual wear and tear
- Improper installation
- Air conditioning
- Furnace / heating
- Water heater
- Garbage disposal
- Inside plumbing stoppages
- Ceiling fans
- Electrical systems
- Range and oven
- Telephone wiring
Because coverages vary from policy to policy, ask to see a sample copy of a policy before you commit.
One Ellis Landing Rd, Brewster, Ma 02631
P.O. Box 57, Chatham, MA 02633